• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Risotto

Anonymous Modernist 16119

I made a variation on the steel-cut oats recipe on p331 of MCAH using arborio rice and skipping the snails. The result was delicious. However, upon reheating the leftovers, the risotto was greasy and unappetizing. How can I stabilize the butter and cheese deliciousness so that they survive reheating? Lecithin, like the home jus gras (MCAH p93)? Or sodium citrate, like the mac and cheese (MCAH p310)?

Thanks for the reply! I was reheating in the microwave. I will try the stove top reheating and see if it produces better results. I agree that risotto is better when eaten the same day. However, it does seem counter to a modernist philosophy to stop at that conventional thought and not press the issue further. Is it possible to leverage the techniques of MC and MCAH to sufficiently stabilize the risotto for microwave reheating? Would lecithin or sodium citrate work, or perhaps something else altogether?