• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Double Strength Stock

Anonymous Modernist 15541

You can make a double stock out of almost any liquid or infusion, but it’s best to use fresh meats and aromatics. When I do this, I shop for enough to make a double recipe. I then prepare everything at once and load half of it into the pressure cooker. I keep the rest of the mise en place in the fridge while making the first stock. When it’s done, I strain the liquid, discard the cooked meat and vegetables, and put the second batch in the cooker with the liquid from the first batch. Hope that helps! Sam

Sam, which method do you think is superior:

- the method you described (divide the ingredients in half, then pressure cook the first half, then add ingredients + stock from the first half)

- divide the ingredients in half, then make two batches of stock, then reduce by 50%

I have been using the second method, because I am fearful that the solutes will reach saturation point and will not strengthen the stock any further. Have you done any experiments to confirm that your suggested method is superior?

My experience suggests that it depends on the final application for the liquid. If it’s going to be used as a broth or clarified for a consommé, I would use the second method because infusing it under pressure will keep more of the volatiles contained. If it’s being reduced to a demi-glace, it probably doesn’t make a big difference because you will be losing those volatiles anyway when you strain the liquid after reducing it on the stove. In terms of reaching the saturation point, I don’t think there’s a big risk for that. I’ve made plenty of triple stocks with a high percentage of aromatics and noticed a big difference after the second extraction.