• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Marinara and garlic confit

Anonymous Modernist 17299

I prepared these two recipes as written. They turned out very flavorfully but both had a lot of oil at the top. I prepared the marinara for pizza topping and the confit for the pizza with broccoli raab. I ended up pouring out the top layer of oil which was a pretty large quantitiy. Is the oil supposed to be absorbed into the ingredients, included as part of the topping or poured off separately?

I never tried the marinara but for the garlic confit that's normal. Confit is to cook something immersed in fat or sugar. Olive oil should cover your garlic when you cook. Confit is also a way to preserve food as the fat that cover your product protect it from oxygen. So it's normal that your garlic is covered in oil. But keep it after youve finished your garlic because it's very flavorfull and taste great in a salad or even drizzled on meat.

Good luck

Louis-Frederic