• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Pressure vs Vacuum Marinade

Anonymous Modernist 11787

I'm curious about marinating something under pressure versus in a vacuum. The Modernist Cuisine at Home describes a way of marinating inside of a whipping siphon by adding pressure to the marinade. On the other hand, I own a vacuum sealer that came with a specialized container with a hose in the top that attaches to the vacuum, used to marinate. From what I have read, the principle is that the vacuum helps "open the fibers and pours of the meat, allowing the marinade to penetrate more quickly".

Considering these approaches are exact opposites, I was wondering if anyone had any experience or input as to which is better or even some sort of further discussion.

Thanks,

Matt

Proudlom,

I prefer vacuum sealing. You are right””there is a moment before the sealer pulls the vacuum when the cells are dilated because of the pressure in the chamber. I think this would result in deeper penetration of the marinade. That being said, both methods are effective, and one‚’s preference should probably be determined by the equipment on hand.

Johnny

Thanks for the input, Johnny. I don't have a whipping siphon so my only option is to use the vacuum method at the moment. The whipping siphon method would also cost a little extra money as you would need to buy a couple gas cartridges.

I still think it's interesting that you could essentially get a similar result by using two completely opposite approaches. The idea that anything but normal pressure works better to marinade almost seems strange in a way. sf-laugh.gif

When we did our vacuum infused watermelon at sector67 it infused to the core of a 6 inch block of melon with dark pomegramite juice in just a few seconds. We haven't tried to do the same with pressure to see which works better, but it would be a good test that would visually show how well each method works. See pictures at: http://www.sector67.org/index.php