• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternative method of making brown stock

Anonymous Modernist 6826

While making the caramelized carrot soup, I was struck with the idea of making brown stock in a similar fashion. Instead of roasting the meat & bones, would adding a 0.5% portion of baking soda to the total weight of ingredients facilitate an environment where deeper maillard notes are achieved? Understandably, vegetables have a porous cellular structure whereas meat does not. However, since we are dealing with a pressurized environment as opposed to pulling a vacuum, I am assuming the same principle as pressure-marinating (except at lower atmospheric pressure) will be taking place. Thoughts?

Hi Rafayet,

I asked some of the chefs about this, and unfortunately they've never done any experimenting with adding baking soda to meat for stocks. It's certainly possible, but we just can't say if it would work or not.

If you do decide to try out it, please report back and let us know what you find!

Judy

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine