• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anonymous Modernist 429

I need some advice regarding a savory cheesecake recipe of mine. It's a savory cheesecake that uses:

mascarpone-5#

cream cheese-3#

whole eggs-12 each

A. P. Flour-1 cup

Maltodextrin-1 cup

If I cook this in a water bath for about 2.5-3 hours, will the mascarpone break? I've tried this twice before. Cooking the batter, piping it into molds and letting it set under refrigeration for 2 and 3 days. Next the mold is removed and the cheesecake is reheated in a convection oven at 191C for about 8 minutes. Also, I have tried it t 205C. Any advice on this would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

John Kirk

I need some advice regarding a cheesecake recipe of mine. It's a savory cheesecake that uses:

mascarpone-5#

cream cheese-3#

whole eggs-12 each

A. P. Flour-1 cup

Tapioca Maltodextrin-1 cup

If I cook this in a water bath for about 2.5-3 hours, will the mascarpone break? I've tried this twice before. Cooking the batter, piping it into molds and letting it set under refrigeration for 2 and 3 days. Next the mold is removed and the cheesecake is reheated in a convection oven at 191C for about 8 minutes. Also, I have tried it t 205C. Any advice on this would be sincerely appreciated.
Thanks,
Johnny Kirk

What temp are you baking it at initially? I bake cheesecakes and other custards at around 250-275F or 121-135C, and they generally take about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, but definitely not 2-3 hours. I wonder if the issue is not your mascarpone breaking so much as your eggs getting overcooked?

What is the end result you are trying to achieve? Something hot and creamy or liquid in the center? Something more like a souffle? What is happening when you re-heat it?

I'm also curious if you could describe what the tapioca maltodextrin does for the texture. I have used it a few times to make peanut butter powder and the like, but never in baking or with anything with so much liquid.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I don't know what to tell you. Cheesecake made by the traditional method shouldn't leak any significant fat or water. Some people use a tiny bit of cornstarch to prevent weeping, but a cup each of flour and maltodextrin sounds like a lot, even for that much cheese. Are you using commercial mascarpone or making your own? What temp do you circulate at?

Still not sure what result you are currently getting that you are dis-satisfied with and what you are after. Is this based on another recipe that has worked in the past or are you trying to come up with something completely new?