• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon - what s the best way to cook it?

awbrig

I cook it in a cast iron skillet unless I am nekid....Then I cook it in the oven. If cooking in the oven, wear your apron backwards so you don't scare anyone when you bend over to pull the bacon out of the oven.

Nothing wrong with wrapping a filet. That cut has no flavor to begin with.

There are more subtle fats that can be used for larding fine cuts.

Jalepeno wrapped in dove wrapped in bacon and grilled is pretty dammed good.

Fresh caught trout fried in bacon fat with cornmeal is fairly good also.

I had the contract for our local octoberfest this year. Can you say potato salad with bacon dressing? Do you have any idea how much bacon you have to cook off to get enough fat to make dressing for 2000 people?

A am pretty much convinced that there will not be peace in the middle east untill the people embrace pork...bacon in particular.

baon in micro on paper towels is good for quick sandwiches..but for big batches...the oven. it always turnws out flat and crispy...mmm. i always ruin it in the pan, i'm totally impatient.

white bread

red heirloom tomato

boston lettuce

bacon

avocado

litlle red peper flake

little mayo

pepper

best sandwich ever. other than an "all bacon" thats good too.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

• 1 year later...

I thought I would post this here since the subject is appropriate.

Is anyone else ticked off at the new Old Navy TV ads where there this young guy is touting the fact that they're giving away prizes every hour in their Old Navy stores and you could be a winner, too. They show a lot of people in the background running around, screaming about their prizes.

Except for Irwin...

They cut to a kitchen where this guy (Irwin) is busy frying bacon in a skillet. The spokes-kid stands next to him and says everyone can be a winner except for Irwin here who'd rather stay home and fry bacon than be an Old Navy winner. :angry::laugh: The spokes-kid actually says "Don't be an Irwin".

Hello?! Priorities, people! I don't care if Publisher's Clearing House is knocking on my door. If I'm frying up some bacon, go away...leave me be to my fried heaven in a pan. I'd have given that kid a taste of my pig iron upside his head for standing in my kitchen and insulting my bacon frying.

Old Navy can go to hell.

My name is Toliver-Irwin and I'm a bacon-fryer, dammit. :angry::raz::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I thought I would post this here since the subject is appropriate.

Is anyone else ticked off at the new Old Navy TV ads where there this young guy is touting the fact that they're giving away prizes every hour in their Old Navy stores and you could be a winner, too.  They show a lot of people in the background running around, screaming about their prizes.

I'd have given that kid a taste of my pig iron upside his head for standing in my kitchen and insulting my bacon frying.

Old Navy can go to hell.

My name is Toliver-Irwin and I'm a bacon-fryer, dammit. :angry:  :raz:  :laugh:

I love that commercial, i saw it the day i was having bacon and donuts for breakfast and then went to old navy and got some underwear, i laughed all the way there and back.

I usually do mine, plain, in the oven... and then I had"Elizabeth's" bacon in New Orleans. Sadly, I don't think they reopened after Katrina (I hope I'm wrong)

She served thick cut bacon that had been liberally covered in brown sugar and pecans before going in the oven.

Just thinking about it is going to keep me awake and hungry tonight.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

I love to serve thick cut bacon, coated in a maple syrup and bourbon marinade, a dash of chinese five spice, seved with roasted vine ripened tomatoes and sourdough - mmmmm! :smile:

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?