• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Kangaroo fillet

Anonymous Modernist 16283

Time depends on thickness. 55.3c is a good temp for roo. I followed the slow-cook blog's post on it a while back and it was just right. I did mine for a bit over 4 hours, it was a thicker cut, but the slow-cook post called for 3 hours.

The rule of thumb (that I was taught) is body temperature for read meated animals + :

11.5c to 14c = rare

15c to 20c = medium rare

22c to 25c = medium

Tougher meats require longer cooking times and higher temps.

Kangaroo lives around 36c. I like my meat medium-rare. 36c + 17.5c = 53.5c; but since it is tougher I like a little hotter, but still in the range of medium rare is 36c + 19.3c = 55.3c.

Fish are a bit lower, because the meat is softer and cooks easier; white meats tend to be a bit closer on the scale also, but it all seems to work out +/- a bit. Of course, that depends on you being able to look up the animals body temperature.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...