• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Lecithin and Vinaigrette

Anonymous Modernist 11058

We have not specifically made the recipe in the book, but have tried adding liquid lecithin to vinaigrette a few times. My wife, who abhors precision in cooking, is usually in charge of the vinaigrette. The puzzling thing is that it doesn't really seem to work. In fact, the last time rather than getting an extra-stable vinaigrette we ended up with a super unstable vinaigrette. It would separate quickly, unlike anything I've seen before, certainly much worse than a dressing made without the lecithin. Why could this happen?

Another question about lecithin: how does one clean it off of stuff? Normal soap doesn't seem to work, and even after a trip through the dishwasher it seems like we don't have complete cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with zmaster on both points.

The best way to ensure a successful result with lecithin in a vinaigrette is to make sure it is completely dissolved in the oil phase before making the emulsion.

As for cleaning, we take a fairly conventional approach: lots of hot, soapy water, a sponge, and some elbow grease usually do the trick.

Sam