• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I just bought a Kuhn Rikon 12L Duromatic Hotel model to make stock.

However, whenever it has past the first red marker it starts to hiss and small whiffs of steam escape from the primary valve (ie.: the one housing the indicator stem). Tightening the screw, pushing down or wiggling the stem during cooking or any other measures didn't help. The documentation states that if this is happening, too much pressure is being build.

Does anybody has the same experience? If that is the case, than the Kuhn Rikon is not able to pressure cook unvented at 15 psi :(.

That look like a great pressure cooker!

I've got the 6L model and when it's coming up in pressure there is a period where it start venting air and steam for a couple minutes. After that it stop and when it's at the right pressure you bring the heat down. Are you talking about that hiss and steam? (It's normal) Or later during your cooking? I have some slight hissing on and off when I cook but no steam coming out. If I push up/push down/screw the stem it usually stop but I don't consider that venting.

No, your cooker should not be venting while one ring is showing. Read to the end, I think you are experiencing the second problem.

This is proper function of a Kuhn Rikon Cooker:

1. You turn up the heat to high and contents inside begin to boil. Vapor begins to build, faster and faster inside and you begin to see a small bit of venting.

2. Pressure begins to build, the venting stops and the pressure signal begins to rise. There may be a small amount of visible vapor - but very small.

3. The correct pressure is reached and you turn down the heat. The cooker cooks at pressure with a slight hissing sound and very thin wisps of steam.

The things that can go wrong:

- If you fail to turn down the heat and the signal is past the second ring, a very loud and persistent vapor release will take place.

- If vapor is released DURING the rise of the pressure signal the safety nub on the side of the main valve may be releasing pressure.

The silicone ring around the safety nub and aluminum mechanism are very delicate and can be damaged by just ONE accidental run in the dishwasher (Kuhn Rikon is not dishwasher safe) or by aging. Though your cooker may be new,it may have sat in the warehouse for a while and the age could have damaged this vital little piece that will stop the cooker from maintaining pressure.

Though the lids do not have a manufacture date, the bases do. Look just under the words DUROMATIC. The second set of numbers with a dot in the middle is the manufacture date. Though I am not sure if the first number is the month or the week of the year (each manufacturer has its own system), the second number is the year of manufacture. I have four Kuhn Rikons and they are dated 04.09, 10.10, 06.11 and 01.12

If you DID NOT run the Kuhn Rikon through the dishwasher and it behaved like this on the FIRST use you should contact the vendor and ask them to send you a replacement UL valve http://amzn.to/XSzya3

Ciao,

L