• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Pea Clusters

Anonymous Modernist 3281

Hey everybody!

So in the last day or so I have been playing with my centrifuge and peas.

I made pea butter, which is a delicious little delicacy I highly recommend to anybody who hasn't yet tried that, pea water, and with the pea water, an attempt, at least, at sweet pea clusters.

I followed the recipe as best as I could determine.

Here's a link to my blog with a couple photos of what I ended up with: http://www.cookedthreeways.com/2013/02/peas-in-onion-consume-with-mint-and.html

Basically, although I'm pretty sure I followed the recipe accurately, the peas simply started to come apart once they were in the 194F water bath.

What might I have done wrong and how can I troubleshoot this recipe?

• 5 years later...

Has anyone had success with this? I also have the El Bulli collection, and while it is slightly different, less liquid/E4M and no xanthan, it is the same.

I have been using different temperatures, 150oF seems to be the correct temp as it is at the top of the gelling temp for E4M, but not the texture of a gel I was expecting. 

I have also wrapped the bundle in plastic wrap and dipped them at various temperatures but again fail.

My next attempt will be to freeze the bundles and see what happens.

RED

Freezing and then heating in a 190oF bath for ~90 sec worked much better, slight amount of chill still in the center but easily remedied.

RED

Edited by Zmaster
update (log)