• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food fatigue

jaybee

i second pork tenderloin.  although, specifically pork tenderloin with rosemary and garlic.  i overdosed on this a few years back and haven't been able to return.

ergh! for me its roasted chicken with rosemary & garlic! maybe its just the combo of rosemary & garlic?! in fact, now that I think about it, it might be rosemary itself.

Born Free, Now Expensive

beef tenderloin and pork tenderloin- I find them to be too expensive and essentially tasteless

Tenderloin is about soft mouthfeel. Eat silken tofu then. Which is good. But for pork I want loinchops or a pulled shoulder for flavour. For beef, a ribeye steak or prime rib or nasty chuck stuff to do a daube.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Nah, tamari is just aged shoyu without wheat. It's good.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I suffer from self-induced food fatigue, only because I try a new preperation of an old standby, am reminded of its diversity and deliciousness... and then overdose. I bought two butternut squash s every week since mid September, and had gratin, sooup. roasted, stuffed, etc variations all the time...then, after Thanksgiving, I bought my usual squashes...and they remained untouched. Now, I'm on to Brussel Sprouts and cabbages..am braising a red cabbage, apple and turkey sausage dish as I type...but in two weeks, I might run from them at the farmer's market.

I have gone for Indian food for lunch once a week for the last six months, I bet. I've not gotten weary of that, however. But a similiar thai streak last year left me with pad thai fatigue.

Black Bear Franks. After touting this particular brand as the best available supermarket frank, my taste for it has changed completely. Either that, or I've had it so much lately that I am now sick of it.

The last 2 times I've had it, I found it to be a little too sweet and just didn't like the flavor compared to the others I tasted with it. I loved it when I first tried it and many times after that. Today I grilled one along with a Best, Sabrett, and Grote and Weigle. The other 3 are very similar to each other and great all beef dogs in the New York Kosher style. The Black Bear is more distinct in flavor; but whereas I preferred it previously, now I don't. Go figure. Taste, at least for me, is very fickle.

John the hot dog guy

Now I'm into the real peaty malts (Ardbeg, Laphroiag) it tastes too syrupy-sweet to me.

Hey, how the hell do you pronounce "Laphroiag"? I hardly ever drink Scotch, so it hasn't come up, but I see it on the shelf and silently give thanks that I don't have to order it, since it's probably pronounced "le-FROO" or something.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Come on, I can't be the only person that grew up eating only bologna sandwiches for a whole year (I'm thinking 2nd grade).

As well as I can remember, I think my daily lunch was one slice of italian salami on white bread with mayo and an apple. This may have lasted throughout my entire K-12 public school education, but I must be forgetting some other selections.

That was so long ago that I actually like it again.

Now I am brown bagging it again and have Applegate's smoked turkey from Fairway on 40 calorie wheat bread 9 days out of 10, but I'm not tired of it after 6 years of lunches.

As for dinner out, I have tired of swordfish.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Now I'm into the real peaty malts (Ardbeg, Laphroiag) it tastes too syrupy-sweet to me.

Hey, how the hell do you pronounce "Laphroiag"? I hardly ever drink Scotch, so it hasn't come up, but I see it on the shelf and silently give thanks that I don't have to order it, since it's probably pronounced "le-FROO" or something.

I pronounce it La-Froyg - rhyme with toy.

--mark

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Best just to stumble in carring a grease stained paper bag tightly wrapped around a bottle and point at it the Laphroiag mumbling, slheujmnidghtm. You get what you want.

Mark's got it right, though.