• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food fatigue

jaybee

There was a time when I was totally bonkers over sushi and sashimi. I ate it several times a week. Then curiously, a couple of years ago, I fell out of love with it. Oh, I still enjoy a good sushi meal now and then. But I no longer crave it. I don't know the reason for the change. It just happened. Are there any foods that have worn out their welcome with you?

Foie Gras. I have phases. But it's essentially a one-trick pony. So I'm bored now, will look forward to it again in 6 months time - probably.

I'm still awaiting the Pasta fatigue that Dottore P assures me will set in.

Oh, I also ate woodcock about 3 times in a week around Xmas - not in a tearing hurry to repeat. Probably why there's a game season.

ODing on Offal can put me off for a while too.

Wilma squawks no more

I find I'm eating less and less cheese. I find so much of it so salty and I never used to so it must be me that's changing. I've also gone right off cooked cheese-seeing it now as lumps of salty molten fat, whereas I used to enjoy it. I'm not remotely interested in cheese courses in restaurants any more and am beginning to question its raison d'etre, especially as you're usually pretty stuffed by the time it comes around.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

Baked buttercup squash stuffed with (cooked) brown rice with a dash of butter and maple syrup. It's really quite good and certainly nutritious, but after eating so much of it during a particularly poverty-stricken winter in northern VT I haven't been able to face it in the thirty years since.

Ortolans. I ate so many of those frickin little things they ran out of em.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Ortolans. I ate so many of those frickin little things they ran out of em.

For those as mystified as I -

"Where would we be without the French. This little gem is all about the Ortolan, a tiny sparrow-like songbird under threat. Not from loss of habitat but the all consuming French appetite. First capture your Ortolan, force feed him for a month, then bung him in the oven. Dress yourself up like something from the KKK, drink as much Armagnac as you can possibly hold and then gorge yourself on Ortolan a la roast. It's the meal that President Mitterand reputedly ordered on his death bed."

Time for a new avatar, Jason?

The Armagnac drinking I'm up with, but I don't like white sheets. They make me look fat.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I am really rather ashamed to admit this but:

No Asian food that is not 1)deep fried or 2) involving lots of noodles.

Raw fish (except oysters!)

Scallops in any way, shape, or form. Unfortunately, they are my husband's favorite and he can prepare them in Recipes From Many Lands.

Danish.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I find I'm eating less and less cheese. I find so much of it so salty and I never used to so it must be me that's changing. I've also gone right off cooked cheese-seeing it now as lumps of salty molten fat, whereas I used to enjoy it. I'm not remotely interested in cheese courses in restaurants any more and am beginning to question its raison d'etre, especially as you're usually pretty stuffed by the time it comes around.

Your change in attitude and current revulsion toward fatty food is a classic symptom of liver problems (seriously). Go and see a doctor.

Come on, I can't be the only person that grew up eating only bologna sandwiches for a whole year (I'm thinking 2nd grade).

Steve P -- why do you insist on quoting people without including their identity? It's like the Plotnicki water torture.

I'll give the third vote for foie gras, although I confess to being somewhat influenced by having seen a flock of geese being reared for its production, and that was not an edifying sight.

At the end of the season, I am also (temporarily I hope) bored with game birds -- pheasant, partridge, grouse, wild duck -- which I've eaten at least once a week since mid-October.

Your change in attitude and current revulsion toward fatty food is a classic symptom of liver problems (seriously). Go and see a doctor.

Would that it were fatty food. No, cheese only I'm afraid. And its not revulsion, just a ....er......re-evaluation. Maybe the liver's ABOUT to turn.

I had a BF for a few years who wouldn't eat seafood (see why the relationship was doomed?) and after we split, I didn't eat chicken for at least a year, I swear. I got so totally sick of it, its all he would eat. I'll eat it now, but not as much as I eat seafood. ;-) He also ate copious amounts of pasta (this was back in the high carb/low fat diet days) and I got sick of that too. I have to say I do kinda agree with Plotnicki in that thread about pasta being... uh, boring. I don't think it has to be, but if its the staple of your diet, then, yuck.

For the past year I've been eating a LOT of asian food. I've been worried about burning out on it, but I tend to eat enough variety on other days that I'm hoping it won't happen. I adore sushi, but don't eat it that often so haven't gotten tired of it.

Born Free, Now Expensive