• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Pastry Cream

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made the pastry cream. I was also surprised at the almost crumbly consistent of the cooked yolk. Yet amazingly when I processed in the blender to make the cream, it worked perfectly and the cream was incredibly smooth and delicious. A great result! Now I wonder if I can convert all my egg thickened recipes in this way and if so how to do it. Plenty of ice cream base recipes call for heating milk, tempering egg, and then heating the entire mix to 180F. As a general substitute process, should I experiment with a. mixing egg,sugar,cream and heating sous vide in a zip lock to 180 and holding for some period of time? OR b. heating egg yolk sous vide and then blending with milk/sugar/cream mix? The idea of whipping up an ice cream base sous vide, without stirring or pots and pans and being able to apply that technique generally to my egg based ice cream recipes sounds fantastic.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...