• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So all, I've built my own temp regulator with a PID controller and outlet to control a heating element (I'm currently using my slow cooker).

My question: what do you use to circulate your water? I saw the lightobject pump and the reviews say it's not submersible (what does this mean? should I get hoses to connect to the pump parts?). Is there a better/easier to use pump.

• 1 month later...

I use this little bad boy.. does 29gph.

http://www.lightobject.com/High-temperature100-39C-DC-12V-185LMin-29GPH-mini-Water-Pump-FDA-Food-grade-P711.aspx

Seems to work well. At $14 it is very reasonable. You still need a 12v DC power supply and something to mount the pump to. I incorporated it into the box I used with the heating elements. Some brass fittings and a 1/8" brass tube. It's currently zip tied to the tube as I couldn't come up with a better way to attach. It certainly works though. Since you made your you could add a DC jack off the back and plug/unplug when you need to.

• 2 months later...

I'm using two Hydor Koralia Nano 240 aquarium circulation pumps in a 5-gallon tote. They've been through three 72-hour cooks, and several shorter ones without issue. They've been above 180F for extended periods, and while the black plastic did take on a more matted finish, I didn't see any deformation. They say they're 240GPH, but they provide a very wide flow pattern for gentle circulation - I think they're designed for coral beds. They can be found at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036S4YZ0/