• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Citric acid VS Sodium Citrate?

Anonymous Modernist 15605

Hello Everyone,

I have heard that Sodium Citrate is also called sour salt, also know as Citric acid.

I went to a place called Spice barn online and they sold "sour salt". I was not really paying to much attention since I was sitting at home and was also buying a few other spices.

After the spices came in, Left the box on my table for a few days, I was in no hurry to open the spices or use them.

Once I was ready to use them then it struck me, I had Citric Acid and not Sodium Citrate. So My question is, Can I use Citric Acid for everything you would use Sodium Citrate for? Or do I need to buy more? Thanks, Rick.

You can also normally buy the WillPowder variety on Amazon, which we've recommended in posts before. It looks like it is currently out of stock though. http://www.amazon.com/WillPowder-Sodium-Citrate-16-Ounce-Jar/dp/B00250Y9Y6?ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338309054&sr=8-1&tag=modercuisi0f-20&linkCode=as2

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 1 month later...

Hi Judy,

I was wondering if one could simply use Eno instead of specifically buying sodium citrate. Not sure if Eno is comprised of exactly the same ingredients as what you would purchase from Will Powder; however, it does list sodium citrate as the main ingredient. I have searched this online but have found nothing to confirm or deny this.

http://www.directionsforme.org/index.php/directions/product/ANTCDLAX/00053100861705

Any thoughts on this?

Steve