• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Pressure Cooked Polenta?

Anonymous Modernist 15013

I was wondering why the difference in cook times between MCAH and MC for the pressure cooked polenta. The quantities of ingredients are the same but the MC version is vacuum sealed and PC'ed for 8 minutes while the MCAH version is in a mason jar and PC'ed for 12 minutes? Should the cook time not be much closer together? 50% more time for something with the same amount of product?

I ask because I made it on the weekend and to say it turned out subpar would be a very large understatement. I will be trying again but want to know if I should be cooking it for 8 minutes or 12 in mason jars?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Started thread in wrong location, sorry.

Hi vinlo,

It takes longer to cook in a jar because heat takes longer to penetrate glass than it does a vacuum bag. I recommend using the Modernist Cuisine at Home version (12 minutes in a jar), but bear in mind it will still need to be simmered a little with the mascarpone and butter when finished.

Hope that answers your question!

Sam