• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Sous Vide Salmon in the Kitchen Sink

Judy Wilson

We've just posted the recipe for Sous Vide Salmon in the Kitchen Sink, along with the recipe for our Fish Spice Mix.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sous-vide-salmon-in-the-kitchen-sink/#

Personally, this is one of my favorites from Modernist Cuisine at Home. Have you tried it? What do you think of using an improvised sous vide set-up?

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried it, though not with the fish spice mix. I love the texture

My sous vide setup is a steamer insert propped over a very old crockpot. I'd post a picture if I knew how. It's worth a laugh. Works if I'm not too picky about temperature fluctuations; I control it by taking the lid off or throwing in an ice cube.

• 1 year later...

I found this thread as I had just enjoyed a Kitchen Sink Salmon for dinner and was curious if there was any discussion about using the technique.  This was the only mention I could find about sous vide salmon, although I recall some

discussion elsewhere that at least touched on the subject.

I bought a frozen, Alaskan salmon fillet from Trader Joe's, which was about 3/4-lb and rather thin - maybe about 1/3-inch.  After defrosting in it's sealed package, I just put the fish into the kitchen sink filled 1/4-way with hot tap water.  The hot water from my tap is 122-degrees and, from a previous discussion on cooking salmon, that seems like a good temp.  I just let the fish sit in the hot water bath while I prepared the salad and set the table.  Maybe twenty minutes later, the fish came out of the bath and made it to the plate, where I added a slight sprinkle of salt and a gentle grind of pepper.  Man!  The salmon was just how I prefer it, just barely cooked through.

Is anyone else preparing salmon, or other fish, in this manner?  Any tip or experiences you'd care to share?

... Shel

How do people like salmon at 45C/113F?

I'm curious since the Cooking Issues guys found sweet spots at 108 and 122, but thought the salmon got "toothy" (whatever that might mean) in the range in between. No mention of if this was especially lean or fatty salmon, farmed or wild, etc..

Notes from the underbelly