• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I noticed that MC recommends sieves purchased from a lab supply rather than the standard kitchen items. I'm intrigued at least in part because I've been frustrated by my inability to buy a coarse but well made sieve, and this would give me the ability to control the mesh size, assuming I can figure out the actual measurement of the mesh size I want. But I'm curious about two things.

1. It appears that these are available in brass and in stainless steel. The stainless costs more. But I routinely see Prop 65 warnings about lead in brass, and I might expect brass to be sensitive to acids, since it is mostly copper. Are the brass ones actually food safe? Dish washer save?

2. How do you actually use a sieve like this? I can buy a tiny receiving dish for it which isn't much use in the kitchen. If I use it with the mixing bowls I have on hand it will either rest on top (with the 1 to 1.5 qt bowls), which is not so good because some of the mesh is hanging over the counter, or it'll fall fairly deep into the bowl (4 qt), leaving not much room at the bottom. (This was based on an 8" diameter sieve.) If I'm trying to force a puree through the sieve, as opposed to simply draining stuff, it seems like lacking a handle is a major downside.

I noticed that MC recommends sieves purchased from a lab supply rather than the standard kitchen items. I'm intrigued at least in part because I've been frustrated by my inability to buy a coarse but well made sieve, and this would give me the ability to control the mesh size, assuming I can figure out the actual measurement of the mesh size I want. But I'm curious about two things.

1. It appears that these are available in brass and in stainless steel. The stainless costs more. But I routinely see Prop 65 warnings about lead in brass, and I might expect brass to be sensitive to acids, since it is mostly copper. Are the brass ones actually food safe? Dish washer save?

2. How do you actually use a sieve like this? I can buy a tiny receiving dish for it which isn't much use in the kitchen. If I use it with the mixing bowls I have on hand it will either rest on top (with the 1 to 1.5 qt bowls), which is not so good because some of the mesh is hanging over the counter, or it'll fall fairly deep into the bowl (4 qt), leaving not much room at the bottom. (This was based on an 8" diameter sieve.) If I'm trying to force a puree through the sieve, as opposed to simply draining stuff, it seems like lacking a handle is a major downside.

• 3 weeks later...

My prediction, based on the 8" diameter quoted, is that if I put such a sieve in the bowls I have it will come to rest about 2 inches from the bottom of the bowl. (I think this is fairly sensitive to the actual outside diameter of the sieve, though.) So it sounds like the trick is to find the right bowl.