• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wireless Temperature Sensors

Passive RFID temperature sensors exist in small sizes and have fairly large ranges. For example, Phase IV (http://www.phaseivengr.com/p4main/Sensors/WirelessTemperatureSensors.aspx) puts out a miniature RFID temperature sensor with a range of -40C to 180C.

I would like to be able to put one of these sensors in a small, sealed stainless steel tube, and then inject that tube (pill?) into a solid I am cooking. For example, inject it in to the center of a piece of meat that is then put on a sous vide bag, and use it to periodically monitor the core temperature of the meat. Could be the same when the food solid is put in an oven or anywhere else. Could also be used for liquids, if it was suspended.

Does anyone know of something prebuilt for this purpose that is already on the market, and, if so, where to get it? And if not, is anyone interested in figuring out how to put something together to do this? Or is this just a silly idea, because we can calculate the inner temperature mathematically or by pushing a probe through the side of the bag and taping it in place?

Passive RFID temperature sensors exist in small sizes and have fairly large ranges. For example, Phase IV (http://www.phaseivengr.com/p4main/Sensors/WirelessTemperatureSensors.aspx) puts out a miniature RFID temperature sensor with a range of -40C to 180C.

I would like to be able to put one of these sensors in a small, sealed stainless steel tube, and then inject that tube (pill?) into a solid I am cooking. For example, inject it in to the center of a piece of meat that is then put on a sous vide bag, and use it to periodically monitor the core temperature of the meat. Could be the same when the food solid is put in an oven or anywhere else. Could also be used for liquids, if it was suspended.

Does anyone know of something prebuilt for this purpose that is already on the market, and, if so, where to get it? And if not, is anyone interested in figuring out how to put something together to do this? Or is this just a silly idea, because we can calculate the inner temperature mathematically or by pushing a probe through the side of the bag and taping it in place?

• 6 months later...