• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charging from large nitrous oxide tank

sf-cool.gif has anyone explored the fabrication of a 'quick-disconnect' fixture so that the whipper could be charged from a large nitrous tank instead of a cartridge. it seems this could be economical especially for high volume users. i don't know the pressure developed by a cartridge, but as a retired dentist, i know the tank regulators could be turned up quite high..........any thoughts would be welcome

MC claims the cartridges are 8 grams. I see a lot of bicycle forums with charts for 12 grams and the lowest number is 80 psi. The regulator I have on my kegerator only goes up to 60 psi. I don't think that's enough of a difference to say it wouldn't work. Your ingredients would just need to be colder (so they could absorb more gas) and you would have to shake it more.

As I understand the process, flavors are infused when the gas is released. So in addition to the extra steps I just mentioned, you would have to disconnect the gas to preserve what you have in the tank before de-pressurizing it.

I imagine it wouldn't be worth it for most home users. With the cost of a tank and regulator you could bulk purchase cartridges for life.

From my homebrewing experience I think a quick trip to the hardware store would give you all the parts you need to make it fit. I would also say take any online advice with a grain of salt. If you're really curios about it then go for it and post the results online.