• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buring Pressure Cooker

I can't help you with the recipe, I only have the first set of books, but I can help you with pressure cooking.

I will assume the recipe required at least, two cups of liquid - which would be abundant for braising pork for 45 minutes. If that is the case, something may have gone wrong with the operation of the pressure cooker.

A few things to know about pressure cooking, and especially Fagor pressure cookers:

1. Turn the heat up to max only to reach pressure.

2. Some Fagor models (Duo, Splendid), have a button that you need to slide up to "lock" the pressure cooker.

3. Once the pressure indicator (little yellow dot) rises in the Fagor it DOES NOT mean it has reached pressure yet, it means that it is REACHING pressure. The only way to make sure the maximum cooking pressure is reached is to touch that yellow dot. If it falls back or feels springhy- the cooker has not reached 15psi. If the dot it feels firm to the touch, and a little vapor is coming out of the main valve (the one with the selector of 1 or 2) then it HAS reached pressure.

4. With all pressure cookers, once they have reached pressure, the heat needs to be turned down to a minimum or near- minimum to maintain pressure.

My guess is that either the lid was not locked or the heat was turned down once the cooker reached pressure. Either of these mistakes will cause large amounts of vapor to exit the cooker, running it dry and burning the contents.

Ciao,

L

Two things. I meant to say Burning Pressure Cooker. Clearly I wasn't paying attention when I was typing.

You are right, I had the heat too high. I left it at medium flame. I didn't realize that you are supposed to put it on low once it is under pressure. I also suspect that the unit may be defective.

Which model Fagor do you have and why do you think it's defective?

In the meantime, you can do an evaporation rate test on it:

Put your pressure cooker on your digital kitchen scale and pour in 1000g of water. Pressure cook the water on high for 10 minutes, and then let the pressure come down naturally (just turn off the heat and don't do anything for about 10 minutes). Zero-out a bowl on the scale and pour in the contents to weigh. The weight of remaining water should be in the usually 980 to 960g range ( 2 to 4% evaporation rate).

Remember to start timing only when the cooker has actually reached pressure (by touching the yellow signal) and turn down the heat to low once it has. sf-wink.gif

Ciao,

L