• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Marinade and steak questions

Anonymous Modernist 9970

We are having some family over for the Christmas holidays and we are going to head down to our caravan. My mum asked me if I could sous vide steak for one of the meals. I wanted to use one of the marinade recipes out of MC at home. If I marinaded them for the time said in the book could I wipe of the marinade and then vacume seal it. In the description it said "acids in the marinade also can change food texture, and not always for the better, so don't leave them on for longer than suggested." by wiping off the marinade, would it stop the acids ruining the steak or would it continue to change the meat. As well as the acid ruining the meat, it also said that "Each of these recipes includes a good bit of salt, either directly or in one of the liquid ingredients. As such, these are actually flavored brine's." so would wiping the marinade also stop the brining process and keep the flavor.

My other question is whether I can freeze the steak vacume sealed for one week before sous videing it. or would that just ruin the meat. I dont have my own vacume seeler but my butcher can do it for me.

so can I marinade meat in advance and wipe of the marinade and then freeze it for a week and then sous vide it?

if you dont understand something about this post I can answer your questions

thanks in advance and please answer fast.

ps I am 14 and love modernist cooking. sf-wink.gif