• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Coffee Crème Brûlée

Anonymous Modernist 5766

I have both MC and MC at Home books. I was doing the math on the ratio of the Coffee Creme Brûlée recipe in MC at Home, page 362. It calls for 53% scaling of egg yolk to liquid. However, the weights are 80g. of egg yolks to 200g of infused cream which works out to 40% scaling. Am I missing something? I made the recipe and it was a bit runny to my liking.

Separately, in terms of ease, why not simply seal the entire contents in a single bag, cook sous vide, then distribute to ramekins for cooling and setting? Besides easier sous vide preparation, this would allow the benefit of insuring proper distribution and mixing immediately after cooking. Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Hello my name is Travis. I tried the Coffee Creme Brulee recipe and saw that you had to infuse the coffee beans with the milk and cream for 12 hours. Not to say I wouldnt wait that long but I wanted to have it right then and there. So I decided to use a technique from one of your videos and to infuse it with a whiping siphon. I also substituted coffee beans for ground coffee at the same weight in grams. It came out Great!

• 4 months later...