• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Howdy,

Are any MAP-Pro torches available in the market food/kitchen safe? I was browsing at Lowe's and saw the "BernzOmatic TS8000KC Map-Pro Kit", which looks pretty similar to the model that the MC team uses in their books (the cylinder is a different brand).

Any comments? This would only be used in the kitchen... :)

• 1 month later...

The torch pictured in the MCAH edition is a BernzOmatic TS4000. Notice the red trigger. The TS8000, yellow trigger, has 30% faster soldering time than the TS4000. Obviously more heat is better for searing as well. See http://www.bernzomatic.com/item.html?id=15

The trigger makes it kitchen safe. When you let go of the torch it is off. Just torch away from anything flammable like your drapes.

The authors felt that MAP gas does not impart any fuel flavor so long as the flame is adjusted correctly. You want a blue cone, not orange.

As to food safe, humans have been cooking over an open hydrocarbon flame for millions of years. Yes wood has hydrocarbons.

• 5 years later...
35 minutes ago, hainanchicken said:

When using MAP-Pro cylinders, are there any tips on safety in the home? How should they be stored in the home to avoid explosion? How often should I be checking up on the cylinder for leaks?

They are perfectly safe. I have had propane cylinders in my workshop for ages.  No leakage , no loss of gas. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gfweb said:

They are perfectly safe. I have had propane cylinders in my workshop for ages.  No leakage , no loss of gas. 

Mine's in the living room!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kayb said:

Along that line, what's the best torch to buy for what will be at most, occasional use?

This one: https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products/Hand-Torches/Instant-On-Off/BZ4500HS

I bought mine with a Sansaire label (also painted white) that came with their searing pan and grill and I am quite fond of it.  After I bought it folks pointed out that it was the model I linked to above with different paint.  I don't use it with Map-Pro, just the standard green Coleman camping cylinders.  Map-Pro evidently doesn't burn that much hotter than Propane and costs a lot more, so the common wisdom seems to be don't waste your money on Map-Pro.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

7 hours ago, hainanchicken said:

@gfweb Thanks for the response. But in the case of a leak, loss of gas, etc. how would I deal with that?

I'd open a window. But it just doesn't happen. a testimony to the safety is that there are no regulations for ventilated storage

I store my Map and my ordinary domestic blow lamp on my verandah, about two feet from where I'm sitting now. The gas if it leaks will head to the floor and the answer is ventilation. My Map is stored with valve on as it's autospark. My Colman blow lamp is stored with the valve head fitted and ready to go. I don't really worry as they are very safe. Ive got that much LP gas here I wouldn't stand a chance. Oh, I live in a wooden chalet. Matchwood. I'm very careful. D

Assuming you're somewhere in North-America, why use pseudo-MAPP gas?

Real/genuine MAPP gas no longer exists.

There's not much difference between pseudo-MAPP and propane in terms of performance—it burns only slightly hotter in air.

And MAPP is much more expensive!

"In early 2008, true MAPP gas production ended in North America when production was discontinued at the only remaining plant in North America that still manufactured it. However, many current products labeled "MAPP" are, in fact, MAPP substitutes."

Edited to add:

Flame temperature in air....

Propane 3,600 degrees

MAP/Pro 3,730 degrees

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

If you fear leaks during down time, remove the torch and screw on a gasketed cap.

Propane Bottle Caps

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!