• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Brown Beef Stock

Anonymous Modernist 10517

I just made a recipe of brown beef stock using the pork variation. I accurately measured the amount of meat that went in (I used pork spare ribs as indicated) and the amount of the liquids.

When all was said and done I had barely 2 c. of stock. This is the second time I've made either brown or pork stock and the yield has been less than half of what's indicated.

Is this normal? How on earth are you supposed to get 4 c. of stock from only 3 3/4 c. of starting liquid?

Neil

• 1 month later...

I am about to make the beef stock this week and I also wonder about the yield? Is there an error in the yield or in one of the ingredient quantities?

edit: And why does the photo on page 86 (modernist cuisine at home) below the beef stock formula show a charred onion but the formula calls for onion thinkly sliced? Is this a different approach - more of what I have seen in other recipes?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...