• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Marinara

Anonymous Modernist 3323

Hello,

After having a lot of success making stocks and risottos in my pressure cooker I turned my attention to the marinara recipe in MCAH. Unfortunately, it turned out quite burnt. Does anybody have any tips to prevent this from happening? I'm not sure what I can give for details - I followed the recipe pretty closely, and kept the pressure cooker from being over pressured.

Hi Kovbasa,

To prevent a pressure cooker from burning your food, there are two fixes:

1. Use jars (this method is usually sufficient). Place a trivet in the bottom of the cooker, and add about 1/2 inch of water. Screw the lid of the jar on tightly, and then unscrew it about quarter of a turn. You can find more about this method on our garlic confit page: http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/garlic-confit/.

2. Use a heat diffuser (i.e., a big piece of heavy metal or a cast-iron pan) in between the burner and the bottom of the cooker.