• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Anonymous Modernist 3030

[Modernist Cuisine][Modernist Cuisine at Home] Verify owning the books

Hi gilius,

Thanks for starting this thread. You aren't the only person to be confused! To register, scan the QR code on the inside of the back cover with a smart phone or tablet (try borrowing someone's if you don't have one--it doesn't link to any email or phone number from the device used). That will take you directly to the site, which will prompt you to log in (so it actually helps to already be signed up with the site, which you are since you've posted here!), and then enter the scratch-off code.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Judy

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

I may enjoy modern cuisine, but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to phones. When phones went from rotary to push buttons that was enough change for me.

I have the at home version. I took a picture of the QR code, I do have a digital camera, and used ZXing online decoder. It produced an address similar to the following. http://www.modernistcuisine.com/register/?id=xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx. You paste this into a browser and it asks you to log in, then it wants the number under the scratch off. Mine was a 5 digit number.

I too am unable to tell if my registration of MCAH was successful.

I originally tried registering with my smartphone, but I can't find anyplace in my profile that indicates it worked.

I then scanned the QR code and uploaded it to the barcode decoder, and got the URL. However,

when pasting that into a browser, I'm simply taken to the main home page, not to a registration page.

sf-frown.gif

Hi everyone!

We have just fixed the issue that was preventing people from seeing whether or not they are registered. If you go to your profile and scroll down to the bottom, it will show the cover of MCAH if you are registered (same with MC).

Judy

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

Hi Rob,

If it isn't showing up on your profile, go ahead and reregister.

We haven't been sending out our recipes in email format. We plan on restructuring our emails. If you have any thoughts on what kind of email content you'd like to see from us, please email info@modernistcuisine.com.

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

I do not have a smartphone. I cannot find how to register MCAT. I have scanned the barcode and QR code to files and tried to use the decoder...no go. I sign on to MC as some have and signed on..they say just enter the scratch off code....I must be blind as I see no area to enter the scratch off code after I have signed on. I have tried all the posted 'workarounds'. Any help is appreciated.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?  
    • By kostbill
      Hello.
      I would like to buy some pectinex ultra sp-l.
      However I am worried about the temperature during the shipping time.
      I read that the storage temperature should be between 2 and 8 C. It works best from 15 to 50 C, and if it stays a lot of time in 25 C, it will gradually be deactivated.

It needs a week to come here (Greece), then will it affect its abilities?

Do you know if I can find a document somewhere that explains the gradual loss of power as a function of time and temperature?
      Did you have any experience with pectinex not working well due to bad storage?

Thanks.
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.

My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?

Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…

When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.

So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?

As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 

Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.

• By lindaj1
      Is there any recipe from the modernist universe or any other galaxy to make ketogenic (low carb) puff pastry and strudel type doughs?  Unusual ingredients OK.  There must be a way...
    • By haresfur
      I got to thinking after the disgusting job of separating globs of fat from sous vide short ribs and debating never doing them that way again. If the fat renders out in a braise, but not in the sous vide, what temperature would you need to turn the fat liquid to get rid of it? Is it below well-done or do you really have to cook the shit out of it? Is it just temperature or a time&temperature thing?

Along those lines, what happens with marbled, tender cuts? where is the sweet spot between solid fat and something more palatable?