• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine][Modernist Cuisine at Home] Verify owning the books

Hi gilius,

Thanks for starting this thread. You aren't the only person to be confused! To register, scan the QR code on the inside of the back cover with a smart phone or tablet (try borrowing someone's if you don't have one--it doesn't link to any email or phone number from the device used). That will take you directly to the site, which will prompt you to log in (so it actually helps to already be signed up with the site, which you are since you've posted here!), and then enter the scratch-off code.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Judy

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I may enjoy modern cuisine, but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to phones. When phones went from rotary to push buttons that was enough change for me.

I have the at home version. I took a picture of the QR code, I do have a digital camera, and used ZXing online decoder. It produced an address similar to the following. http://www.modernistcuisine.com/register/?id=xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx. You paste this into a browser and it asks you to log in, then it wants the number under the scratch off. Mine was a 5 digit number.

I think I've verified my MCAH purchase, but I'm not sure how to check. I saw the comment about verified owners being more likely to get a response, and hoping that my profile will be updated so my question (http://modernistcuisine.com/cooks/forum/a-f/caramelized-carrot-soup-3-301-and-6-150/page-3/#p1419) will be more likely to be answered :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I too am unable to tell if my registration of MCAH was successful.

I originally tried registering with my smartphone, but I can't find anyplace in my profile that indicates it worked.

I then scanned the QR code and uploaded it to the barcode decoder, and got the URL. However,

when pasting that into a browser, I'm simply taken to the main home page, not to a registration page.

sf-frown.gif

Hi Rob,

If it isn't showing up on your profile, go ahead and reregister.

We haven't been sending out our recipes in email format. We plan on restructuring our emails. If you have any thoughts on what kind of email content you'd like to see from us, please email info@modernistcuisine.com.

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

I do not have a smartphone. I cannot find how to register MCAT. I have scanned the barcode and QR code to files and tried to use the decoder...no go. I sign on to MC as some have and signed on..they say just enter the scratch off code....I must be blind as I see no area to enter the scratch off code after I have signed on. I have tried all the posted 'workarounds'. Any help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...