• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

Thanks, pbear. I just listened to that (#52) podcast and Dave talks about black garlic (in response to a question sent to him via email) in the very last 'discussion' starting around the 41:50 mark.

I found the discussion more than a bit 'scattered' and very general. He talked about what it is and about the fact that black garlic is not 'fermented' per se (and why not), as well as about using a dehydrator to make it (primarily just about the best temperature range to aim for - and how to keep humidity in using a container well wrapped - but not even timing). This particular podcast being from 5 years ago now I would bet that if Dave himself has made any black garlic since then that he has gone the sous-vide route more than likely - or maybe used the combo dehydrator/sous-vide method - but neither was discussed in this podcast as far as I can tell.

If VilleN got a revolutionary '3 day technique' description from that particular podcast I really must have missed something because I didn't hear it. On the other hand, Dave does talk fast and wanders around topics considerably at times so perhaps my attention span and brain are not quite in sync with listening to that kind of conversation any more.

Deryn

Deryn

Thanks, pbear. I just listened to that (#52) podcast and Dave talks about black garlic (in response to a question sent to him via email) in the very last 'discussion' starting around the 41:50 mark.

I found the discussion more than a bit 'scattered' and very general. He talked about what it is and about the fact that black garlic is not 'fermented' per se (and why not), as well as about using a dehydrator to make it (primarily just about the best temperature range to aim for - and how to keep humidity in using a container well wrapped - but not even timing). This particular podcast being from 5 years ago now I would bet that if Dave himself has made any black garlic since that he has gone the sous-vide route more than likely - or maybe used the combo dehydrator/sous-vide method - but neither was discussed in this podcast as far as I can tell.

If VilleN got a revolutionary '3 day technique' description from that particular podcast I really must have missed something because I didn't hear it. On the other hand, Dave does talk fast and wanders around topics considerably at times so perhaps my attention span and brain are not quite in sync with listening to that kind of conversation any more.

Deryn

Deryn

I found the discussion more than a bit 'scattered' and very general. He talked what it is and about the fact that black garlic is not 'fermented' per se (and why not), as well as about using a dehydrator to make it (primarily just about the best temperature range to aim for - and how to keep humidity in using a container well wrapped - but not even timing). This particular podcast being from 5 years ago now I would bet that if Dave himself has made any black garlic since that he has gone the sous-vide route more than likely - or maybe used the combo dehydrator/sous-vide method - but neither was discussed in this podcast as far as I can tell.