• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pbear

pbear

Deryn, you're welcome.  FWIW, I think probiotic is overrated.  Your natural gut flora are just fine in almost all cases, post certain aggressive antibiotic regimens being the only exception of which I'm aware.  And, yeah, fermented is marketing.  So are uncured, local, natural and lots of other labels.  What we can say in favor of black garlic is that it's not mixed up in a test tube.  That should be worth something.

pbear

pbear

Deryn.  You're welcome.  FWIW, I think probiotic is overrated.  Your natural gut flora are just fine in almost all cases, post certain aggressive antibiotic regimens being the only exception of which I'm aware.  And, yeah, fermented is marketing.  So are uncured, local, natural and lots of other labels.  What we can say in favor of black garlic is that it's not mixed up in a test tube.  That should be worth something.

pbear

pbear

Deryn.  You're welcome.  FWIW, I think probiotic is overrated.  Your natural gut flora are just fine in almost all cases, post certain aggressive antibiotic regimens being the only exception of which I'm aware.  And, yeah, fermented is marketing.  So is uncured, local, natural and lots of other labels.  What we can say in favor of black garlic is that it's not mixed up in a test tube.  That should be worth something.

pbear

pbear

Deryn.  You're welcome.  FWIW, I think probiotic is overrated.  Your natural gut flora are just fine in almost all cases, post certain aggressive antibiotic regimens being the only exception of which I'm aware.  And,yeah, fermented is marketing.  So is uncured (not true, usually), local, natural and lots of other labels.  What we can say in favor of black garlic is that it's not mixed up in a test tube.  That should be worth something.