• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pbear

pbear

update

Conversely, I don't think it's possible to get Maillard reactions at that low a temp and almost certain it's not possible to get caramelization.  For reference, McGee gives 250ºF/120ºC as the lower limit for the former and 330ºF/165ºC for the latter (OF&C, 2d ed at p.779).  Even fructose has a lower limit for caramelization of 220ºC/105ºC (id. at p.656).

I've tried to find a scientific article on the process, as opposed to hunches by foodies, and so far been unsuccessful.

ETA:  Finally found one.  Comprehensive NMR Analysis of Compositional Changes of Black Garlic during Thermal Processing, J. Agric. Food Chem., 2015, 63 (2), pp 683–691, Liang, et al. (2014).  Full text available in pdf and html at this page.  Main focus is on what happens, i.e., the specific amino acid and sugar changes.  As for how, says "may have been caused [in part] by ... Maillard reactions" (pdf at p.6), but doesn't seem to have been a point they considered particularly important.

pbear

pbear

update

Conversely, I don't think it's possible to get Maillard reactions at that low a temp and almost certain it's not possible to get caramelization.  For reference, McGee gives 250ºF/120ºC as the lower limit for the former and 330ºF/165ºC for the latter (OF&C, 2d ed at p.779).  Even fructose has a lower limit for caramelization of 220ºC/105ºC (id. at p.656).

I've tried to find a scientific article on the process, as opposed to hunches by foodies, and so far been unsuccessful.

ETA:  Finally found one.  Comprehensive NMR Analysis of Compositional Changes of Black Garlic during Thermal Processing, J. Agric. Food Chem., 2015, 63 (2), pp 683–691, Liang, et al. (2014).  Unlike many scientific articles, full text available in pdf and html at this page.  Main focus is on what happens, i.e., the specific amino acid and sugar changes.  As for how, says "may have been caused [in part] by ... Maillard reactions" (pdf at p.6), but doesn't seem to have been a point they considered particularly important.

pbear

pbear