• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MikeMac

I am from the west home of big sky's and beef and I only speak one language english. Every time I travel I feel very primitive as most of the people I run into speak more than one language.

I have never run into language problems while visiting the french speaking side of Canada, sometimes it takes a few try's to get the point across but I find as long as I am respectful and remember I should know french life is fine. I would strongly recommend a visit to Montreal.

One of the rewards of visiting is amazing food - from simple smoked meat at Schwartz's Deli

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com

To one of Canada's original wild man chefs

Martin Picard

and his restaurant Au Pied De Cochon

http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca

I hope to visit his Sugar Shack some day and see how he handles Maple syrup. He changes is menu up winter and summer and while I would not call it a healthy place to eat the wonderful seafood in season can not be too far off the mark.

Mike Macdonald Calgary

• 6 months later...

Hello Mike and Artur,

Welcome to Montreal. It's hard to give you recommendation without knowing what you're looking for exactly.

It can simply be a visit to Fairmount Beagle

http://www.fairmountbagel.com/

The chicken sandwich at Cocorico just beside Schartz

Or a full 10 services meal at Laurie Raphael or Toque

http://www.laurieraphael.com/en/Restaurants/Montreal/Menu/Soiree

http://www.restaurant-toque.com/en/Tasting-menu.php

I can recommend you the best coffee, one of David Chang's favorite restaurant or great ethnic food. I could probably go on for hours. Tell us what you're looking for and I'll try to recommend something!

Have a good weekend

Louis-Frederic

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I don't know any restaurant that go all-out modernist like WD50 or Alinea. The most modernist menu I had was a few years ago at Laurie Raphael Montreal where I could see direct influence from El Bulli and Celler Can Roca on the menu but their menu seem more traditional now. I would be happy to hear about other places in Montreal that I don't know.

• Similar Content

• By Anonymous Modernist 16589
      I'm looking to buy some new pots and pans and would like to tap into your knowledege and experiance with them. Which pans tend to yield the best and most consistant results. Same for pots. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appriciated, thank you in advance.
      Herman 8D
    • By Doodad
      Has anybody tried making a dark roux in a pressure cooker? Can this be done without scortching do you think? I have made roux in the oven before and started wondering about this topic.
    • By kostbill
      I really want to improve the flavor of my chicken breast so I want to try to inject brine with fat and flavors.

I would like to try brining with some hydrocolloids. The one example I found is this: https://torontofoodlab.com/2013/08/20/meat-tenderizing-with-a-carrageenan-brine/.

However I cannot apply that to my chicken breast because I am cooking it sous vide, so the chicken will not reach the temperature needed for the carrageenan to gel.

I am thinking of using Methyl cellulose, first disperse in hot water, then leave it for 24 hours in the fridge, then add salt, fat and flavors and inject it.
      I am afraid that until it reaches the 50C or 60C that the Methyl cellulose needs in order to gel, the liquid will escape.
      Any ideas?
      Thanks.
    • By Anonymous Modernist 760
      Thanks for putting up this forum 🙂
      I would like to bake using a combination of sous vide and a conventional oven. Would it be possible to put the dough in a vacuum bag cook it sous vide at 37C for the dough to raise optimal and then put it in a conventional oven?
      Thanks
    • By PedroG
      Olla podrida sous vide
      Origin
      Not rotten pot, but mighty or rich pot! Originated in 16th century Spain, olla poderida became olla podrida and was falsely translated into French as pot-pourri.
      Ingredients
      For two servings
      * 100g Brisket well marbled, cooked SV 48h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Pork meat well marbled, cooked SV 24h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Lamb chops without bone, cooked SV 4h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chicken breast, cooked SV 2h/58°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chorizo, sliced approximately 4mm †
      * 125g Chickpeas (garbanzos), soaked overnight in water †
      * 1 Onion chopped medium-fine †
      * ½ Savoy cabbage approx. 200g cut into pieces, thick leaf veins removed
      * ½ Celeriac approx. 200g quartered, sliced about 2mm
      * 2 Carrots sliced approximately 120g about 3mm
      * 1 Leek approximately 20cm / 100g sliced about 5mm
      * Extra virgin olive oil
      * Rice bran oil
      * Dried parsley qs, aromatic, black pepper
      † Beef, pork, lamb and chicken (or at least two kinds of meat) as well as chorizo, chickpeas and onions are mandatory ingredients, other vegetables vary according to desire and availability.
      Cooking
      Boil chickpeas in water for 30-60 min.
      Sauté onions in olive oil, add chorizo, continue sautéing, add chickpeas including its cooking water, add remaining vegetables, cover and cook to the desired softness, stir from time to time. If additional liquid is needed, you may add Sherry instead of water.
      Reduce heat. Season to taste. Add parsley.
      In a heavy skillet, sear the meat dice in just smoking hot rice bran oil (very high smoking point allows very quick sear, not overdoing the center of the meat).
      Sear one kind of meat at a time and transfer to the pan with the vegetables.