• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist roux: an emulsifier, a gelling agent?

Doodad

• 3 months later...

Someone's already done it for you..

http://blog.ideasinf...x-in-a-jar.html

Ideas in Food achieved caramelized roux with a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker (that tops-off at about 10 or 11 PSI). So the same results could likely be achieved in a stove-top (15psi) in less than 90 minutes. I'll guesstimate 60 minutes with natural release.

Ciao,

L

P.S. Don't forget to use a canning jar, steaming basket and water to steam.

Edited by pazzaglia (log)

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

Since we're on the subject of modernist roux, does anyone know whether or not this could be done in a microwave (I may have seen something like this in MC, but a [quick] look isn't revealing anything). Until recently, I'd held the microwave in mild contempt as a second-rate device for preparing food, but recently I've found some interesting things it can do, so it's more or less at the front of my mind.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Roux in the microwave is hardly modernist or innovative in south LA...Cajuns have been microwaving rouxs since the micro hit the market in the 70s. SOP is to use a large Pyrex measuring cup with a handle, use equal parts oil and flour, mix together, then zap for 5-8 minutes, stirring after the first three or four minutes. Total cooking time depends on microwave wattage, and of course, how dark you want your roux. There are a slew of microwave roux recipes online.

I've made a dark roux in the microwave. It actually works really well and only takes abou 10 minutes. The only problem is (for me since I have an over the stove microwave) that you have to take it out every minute or so and give it a stir and it's hot!

Roux in the microwave is hardly modernist or innovative in south LA...Cajuns have been microwaving rouxs since the micro hit the market in the 70s. SOP is to use a large Pyrex measuring cup with a handle, use equal parts oil and flour, mix together, then zap for 5-8 minutes, stirring after the first three or four minutes. Total cooking time depends on microwave wattage, and of course, how dark you want your roux. There are a slew of microwave roux recipes online.

What he said.

I've made a dark roux in the microwave. It actually works really well and only takes abou 10 minutes. The only problem is (for me since I have an over the stove microwave) that you have to take it out every minute or so and give it a stir and it's hot!

Does it have the complexity of a traditional roux?

What he said.

I'm curious; what would be the advantage of a pressure-cooked roux? If it's a question of saving time/effort, seems like the microwave option would be at least as solid an option.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

A microwave roux tastes exactly like a traditional roux. For that matter, so do the jarred rouxs (dark, medium, light, and dry) available at my local stores; it's just fat and flour, browned: not a terribly complicated thing. Most of the flavor is determined by the kind of fat used.