• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vacmaster VP215C Vs Minipack MVS 31X

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would you consider the VP112 unit?

See the chart below its plastic which would probably not stand up in commercial use but have a vacuum port takes bigger bags but lacks a digital read out.

http://vacmaster.aryvacmaster.com/vacmaster/pdf/Machine_Comparison.pdf

I too need to figure out which one to buy my external Foodsaver has t=got a bit of brine in it and quit again.

Mike Macdonald Calgary

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in this thread from a UK perspective. I've tried to interest Amazon UK in selling the VP210C without success. Amazon US sell it for around $1000 but the cheapest UK source I can find is nearly £2000, so I've been looking at cheaper alternatives. One such is the VacStar Mini-Vac (RRP c £1300) which looks a well-made machine but I'm slightly concerned about the relatively small sealing chamber and the short seal bar (200mm) which looks as if it's really only suitable for single portion packs. Another alternative is the Foodtek Cucina 300 (RRP c£1550) which has a similar chamber and bar size to the VP210C but somewhat smaller overall dimensions which looks convenient for domestic use.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products?

• 1 month later...

Hi Judy,

Any particular reason for the 210 and not the 215?

The 215 is about $100 more in the US, and has a rotary oil pump rather than the dry piston pump of the 210. This should provide for better vacuum as well as overall longevity of the device.

The VP210C does seem like a capable device, but with the upgrade being only $100 more (in the US, at the time of this posting), is there a reason to shy away from the upgrade? Or is your recommendation based on the generally more available (and directly from Amazon, which is a plus) 210?

EDIT:

From the Vacmaster site (http://vacmaster.aryvacmaster.com/cgi/ary.wsc/product.htm?p-item-num=VP215C#tabtop):

"While the VP210 and the VP215 look very similar in design and specifications, the primary difference in the two machines is the vacuum pump. The VP210 features a maintenance-free, 2-cylinder piston pump. The VP215 uses a powerful, 1/4 HP rotary oil pump. While the VP215 is more efficient and runs more smoothly and quietly, it requires oil changes approximately 2 times a year depending on use. The VP210 does not require regular maintenance."

So for 100 bucks, you get a more powerful and longer lasting pump, but with the burden of a bit of maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The vac 215 notes change the oil twice per year. Reading the manual states to change after first 25 hours then every 60 hours. As I would be using for home use solely do you follow 60 hour guidance or 2x per year regardless of hours. Does oil get "old" and need to be changed?

Also some have commented on quiet operation, compared to vac 110 is noise difference noticeable

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hi RJNSilva,

We sell vacmaster sealers, and I also do the service and repair on them in my area and what I recommend to my VP215 customers is that they change the oil after the first 1500 cycles and then every 3000 cycles. Each cycle is one bag, so it's easy to track how many cycles you have on the machine by how many bags you have used. There are two important exceptions; if you have been sealing a lot of liquids and have moisture built up in the oil, making it a milky color or if you are going to store it for any significant length or time without using it. In both cases, the moisture, if left to sit for weeks/months on end can rust the internal components of the pump which is never good. But I also recommend keeping the VP215 close to the kitchen, if not directly in it because the longer you own one, the more you use it. Soon you will be infusing flavor into watermelon, marinading your pork, and of course, vacuum packing your bulk meats, etc.. I find that I use mine 2 or three times a day. Let me know if you have any more questions about the VP215. I would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Doug

It's great to see industury experts comment espically with full disclosure .

to recap you are recommending the VP112 for home use as it can handle much larger bags of liquid and work with canisters ?

Will it work with foodsaver canisters ?

Mike Macdonald Calgary

Hi Mike,

I'm happy to help. Yes, you are correct. For the normal home Sous Vide user, the VP112 is definitely a good way to go. But if you seal large volumes of bags every day or want commercial grade construction, then the VP210 or the VP215 is where you should look. It's design is better for those big bags of liquid. And, yes it will work fine foodsaver canisters, but you might need to put the Foodsaver fitting into the Vacmaster hose or just put a small strip of scotch tape on the vacmaster fitting if it's a little loose in the hose port of the Foodsaver canister. Here is a link to a primitive video I made a few months ago showing how to do just that. Please forgive the quality. I don't make video's for a living and it shows.

Thanks,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Okay in rereading your reply even though the VP 112 technically has a bigger chamber it's plastic which means it won't last as long and further the shape of the vacuum chamber is not as useful as the other ones this is correct?

I watched the video I see what you mean it.but it got the point across

Mike Macdonald Calgary

• 3 months later...