• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mk - Michael Kornick - Chicago

mikeczyz

Hmm... we didn't interact with the sommelier. It was a quick review of the Pinot Noirs and our server's recommendations among two bottles.

Seperately, in talking with the restaurant manager, we learned that she's headed to Tuscany this week to tour a handful of wineries. I wouldn't be surprised if they bulk up their Italian offerings.

I had a really nice meal at mK last night with my uncle. Had been meaning to get there for sometime and since it was a Monday and the options were limited, we decided to go. It was snowy and cold outside so the room, just being warm, was nice; kind of comtemporary, but kind of rustic with the wooden beams, and the lighting was good (maybe a bit too dim, though).

Amuse: Hard to remember, but it was a watercress salad of sorts with salmon and and some sort of roe on it and some sort of vinaigrette. Interesting, but obviously not too memorable.

First course: Carrot soup with toasted cumin and cinnamon scented granny smith apple. Very good, especially with there being snow outside and the cold. A nice thick, spicey soup and I enjoyed the sweetness of the apple. My uncle ordered the butternut squash ravioli with root vegetables braised with cinnamon and nutmeg, which I tried and they were also very good. But very similar to the butternut squash ravioli you can get at Zia's Trattoria in Edison Park for a lot cheaper.

Main course: We both ordered the roasted venison loin with spiced sweet potatoes, bitter greens and ginger scented red wine sauce. Another very filling and heavy course, great to eat in winter. The venison was cooked excellently -- medium rare, and very very tender -- and the sweet yet spicey element of the sweet potatoes provided a reference to the carrot soup from before and a good counterpart to the gamey tang of the venison. Venison is an extremely good meat, it seems, to pair with sweet potatoes or squash and chocolate (as they were doing over at Trio).

Major and only real disappointment of the night: We ordered the pommes frites, but they never came! And by the time I realized that they should have indeed arrived, we were already almost done with the main course and ready for dessert. I probably should have said something (but didn't, of course) and I will have to make the trip back in a few months to get them. Maybe even ask for two orders then...

Dessert: I can really see why Mindy Segal gets all the good press she does...her desserts are excellent! I had the warm Meyer lemon meringue bombe, a lemon curd tartlet tropical fruits and mango passion fruit sorbet. Meyer lemon is great (some guy in California, presumably named 'Meyer,' crossed an orange with a lemon) and the dessert as a whole was awesome. I also am a huge fan of passion fruit, so it won me over on a few levels. My uncle got the warm "pink lady" apple pie with cider caramel sauce granny smith apple granita and roasted apple ice cream and said it was great.

Sadly that was the end, but I do plan to do back in a few months, if only for dessert...oh and I almost forgot (BUT DIDN'T!!!)...for the pommes frites, as well.

Edited by RyneSchraw (log)

• 6 months later...

I had one meal at MK, and it was a disappointment. There were so many gaffes with the food and service that we lost count. I know that some people have had good experiences there, but I wouldn't go back--there are far too many better restaurants in Chicago.

Bruce

Don't know how relevant this is but MK North is directly across the street from my office in Northfield. I've eaten there a number of times and have always had disappointing experiences. Like Bruce, I could recount some specifics, but they were quite numerous. It's in the space previously occupied by Brasserie T, which by comparison, I really miss these days.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I have a gift cert from Restaurant.com to MK that I need to use, Thanks for the input.

BTW, these certs are sold on EBAY and can be had for 30% of their value.

My $25 cert was about $8.

I think this says a lot about their ability to fill their tables.

Bruce

• 3 years later...

I will be in Chicago this weekend for the marathon and was thinking about going to mk Sunday night--mainly because their desserts look so indulgent and I figure I will deserve one Sunday night! The reviews here are mixed. Does anyone have any recent experience to share?

Any other recs for an out of towner who likes grilled meats and vegetables, interesting salads and fresh pastas (and amazing desserts...)?

Two places with great meat dishes and inventive veggies--and outstanding desserts--are Custom House and Naha. CH's roasted quail with parsnips appetizer and the shortrib entree with horseradish cream puffs are ridiculously good.

Custom House's pastry chef, Elissa Narow, previously worked at Trio and Blackbird. At CH the desserts are on the "comforting" side rather than really edgy but her execution is meticulous--real dedication to perfection. Her hot pumpkin doughnuts and maple ice cream is my current addiction. Simple and amazing.

I just had lunch at Naha today and it must be the season for pumpkin and maple; in this case warm pumpkin pudding alongside a scoop of bourbon/maple ice cream garnished with pomegranite. Great fall flavors and a really stellar dessert. Eleven bucks for dessert at lunchtime is a bit steep, but this was worth every penny! Naha has been around for a number of years, so it doesn't generate all that much buzz, but it is definitely in that group of really great places that split the difference between full-blown, jackets-required 4-star spots and the more "neighborhoody" 3-star places--fine-dining definitely, but less formal. Chicago has some other real winners in this category: Blackbird, Spring, North Pond and Kevin, just to name a few.

• 7 months later...

Just went two weeks ago while on a visit. Bison ribeye & pomme frites were outstanding.

Edit: totally unrelated to food but Sam Zell was at the next table. Wanted to beat him over the head on the rumors that he might have Wrigley torn down. Other than that the dining was a pleasant experience :cool:

Edited by viva (log)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I stopped in awhile back and had a straight-forward Skatewing entree. It was executed nicely and it was delicious, too. I had a glass of something bubbly, but I don't remember what it was. The service matched the food and everything went off without a hitch.

I grabbed a quick-bite and left really happy!

MK is a solid place.

Cheers.

-tw-

eGullet Ethics Signatory