• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pulled pork - using wet bulb thermometer

I've been reading that using a wet bulb thermometer will give me better results for smoking. I usually smoke overnight and slow cook the pork inthe smoker for 18 hours total at low temperatures (190F), but I've read that a smoke then sous vide would be more effective as the meat would keep more moisture and I could use lower temps.

This is where I'm at so far: I've brined 16 lbs of pork shoulder for 24 hours in a weak salt and paprika solution. I have a bradley smoker that I control using an Auber instruments PID.I've threaded my thermometer probe into a shoelace which is dipped in a water container so that the thermometer is reading as a wet bulb. I've set my PID to use this wet bulb temp to control the smoker's heating element. Set the smoke for 7 hours and the 'wet bulb' temp at 135F. I also have another thermometer to measure the IT. In the morning the IT of the pork after the smoke was 171F. I vaccum sealed it and into the water bath it is going at 150F for the next 2 days. Is this the correct method of using the wet bulb thermometer method? I'm concerned that the IT of the pork went up too high during the smoke.

Does anyone have experience with this method?