• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interchangeability of Ultra Sperse "Grades"?

Anonymous Modernist 3093

There are several different "grades" (varieties?) of Ultra Sperse that are used in the MC recipes. It looks like Ultra Sperse 3 is probably the most frequently used. Does anyone know if it would be possible to substitute Ultra Sperse 3 for the other grades of Ultra Sperse by altering the ratios in those recipes? I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase of several different grades when some of them are used in only a handful of recipes.

• 2 months later...

Well This will not help but I too am adding a request for some information On National Starch Products,

Link to same question over at egullet

http://egullet.org/p1880920

National Starch Products In Australia - Substitutions

Need some help the only products I can get here are;

Crisp Coats - Great

N-Zorbit

Ultra-Crisp CS

Ultra-Tex 4

Ultra- Sperse M

However I can not get Ultra-Sperse 3, Ultra-Sperse 5 And Ultra-Sperse A For the last 2 I've been sent replacements which I'm told perform the same functions but are not as easy to disperse. Ok that's not that bad. SO that leaves me no real product to replace Ultra-Sperse 3 the rep at the Australian office says that Ultra-Sperse M basically has the same properties.

So my questions are as such. Why use a different brand from recipe to recipe. Can you help with substitution amounts? What are the differences between these products?

Help, Help, Nathan, Max, Chris are you there? - I noticed most recipes call for Ultra-Sperse 3 how can I replace this product with Ultra-Sperse M or maybe another?

Kindest regards and am anxiously waitiing for the MC@home. Too exciting. Wish you'd only given a weeks notice. How will I wait till October. These books are a drug and I'm hooked.

My caramelised Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut foam was awesome on Saturday night and the kids loved it to!

Vol.