• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Sour Cream Spaetzle (4•117 and 6•252)

Anonymous Modernist 5246

I attempted to make the sour cream spaetzle 4-117, 6-252 twice with zero success. Has anyone attempted this one? If so did it work? I would love to get this one dialed in but will not attempt it again without some feedback on what could have gone wrong etc. The biggest issue I have is that it never seems to setup. I have left it in the fridge longer than necessary and it does not matter as when it hits the ice water is just tends to dissolve. I tried frying the mess and it just turned into a bigger mess.

Ricky

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Judy,

Thanks for the reply and I did check the errors.

On pages 4·117 and 6·252, in the table Best Bets for Gelling with Transglutaminase (Activa), in the row for sour cream spaetzle, 160 Bloom gelatin, at a scaling of 3.3%, should be added to the list of bases, and water should have a scaling of 22.2%.

On pages 4·117 and 6·252, the recipe for Sour Cream Spaetzle should call for 3 g of salt with a scaling of 2%.

The only thing that I see that changes the formula from 6-252 is the salt goes from 3.6 g to 3 g. Am I missing some thing?

• 1 month later...

The Spaetzle recipe can be tricky. To help the spaetzle solidify, one trick is to make the mixture and then roll it into a log with plastic wrap. Tie both ends of the film tightly and submerge the log in a water bath set at 50 °C / 122 °F. This temperature is where the enzymes are most active. Keep the log in the water bath for one hour and then transfer it to an ice bath to chill. Refrigerate for four hours to set (the gelatin sets over time, not just by temperature). This should make it much easier to grate and fry the spaetzle.

• 5 months later...

Finally got around to making the Spaetzle and it was a complete success. I set it in the bath for 90 minutes, my log was about 2 inches in diameter, then in an ice bath to chill and then overnight in the refrigerator. I cut off a chunk and fried it in canola and butter and it browned up and tasted great. I then grated some, and add them to the pan to brown and they too were great but they did stick together somewhat. I thank you for setting me down the correct path as I have been wanting to incorporate this to many of our dishes. Do you have any grating tips? I didn't do it over an ice bath as suggested but will try it later today, but any other tips would be appreciated.