• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any opinions on the Vacmaster VP215?

Cheviot

I've been looking at various vacuum sealers and for a variety of reasons (oil pump, fast seal times, noise) I've been looking at the Vacmaster VP215. Does anyone here have any personal experience with this unit?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned this unit for the last year and a half and Iabsolutelylove it. I haven't had any issues with it and use it many times a week. It's perfect for keeping raw meats fresh. I also love using it for storing sauces and other creations for longer periods. The only hiccup that I've had (and always have had) is that you need to hold down the chamber lid when starting the vacuum to help create a seal and once it gets going, you can let it go. For the price I highlyrecommendthe machine!

Thanks Joe. For the money I just don't see any alternatives. I asked Dave Arnold about it and he wasn't very…. optimistic, mainly due to price (comparable units are about $2000) and the lack of a Busch pump, but I don't think it can be beat for the price and I doubt I'll ever seal enough product to wear out the pump.