• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

• 3 weeks later...

I did something like this with White Wine when I first started playing with this stuff. Used Cold Oil in a cup and mixed the wine with Agar Agar, heated to like 200° and let cool to like 130° and drip into cold oil.

Now I think I'd try to use a Calcium Chloride bath with a Sodium Alginate/Wine mixture (basic spherification), I tend to get some nice Caviar using this method. Reverse Spherification would probably give the most WOW producing results but I haven't messed with that technique too much yet.

Doug,

The technique used will be dictated by what type of end result you wish to have. Using a cold oil/agartechniquesuch as what SuperJude suggested will produce completely firm solid gel spheres. Using sodium and calcium (spherification) will produce a product with a liquid center and a firm outside that will burst in your mouth. So it really depends on what you're going for.