• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is cryosearing possible with dry ice?

Anonymous Modernist 1843

I think the recipe relies on the low surface tension of the LN2 to get into every microscopic surface possible on the burger to freeze it. Dry ice does not exist in a liquid state, it sublimates directly into a gas - so it would be impossible for dry ice to achieve this effect. Happy to be corrected if MC staff think otherwise.

I think it depends on the surface that is being chilled. They use dry ice for duck skin since it is pan seared, the cooling is applied in a similar manner as the heating.conversely the hamburger is deep fried, and a dunk in ln2 would be theoppositemethod of chilling to submerging something into extremely hot oil. So if you pan seared one side of the burger at a time after chilling it on a block of dry ice you could possibly get similar results. I doubt that it would work out as well though.

• 6 months later...

You could put the dry ice into pure ethanol (everclear maybe?) which would create an ethanol/dry ice bath at -72 degrees Celsius. Of course, this is much warmer than liquid nitrogen which is ca. -200 degrees Celsius, and there is the obvious disadvantage that you are in ethanol won't evaporate away immediately upon removal from the bath. However, it might be fun to play around with. At the very least, you could probably make some interesting frozen alcoholic fruit with it.

Presumably, you're having difficulties finding liquid nitrogen. I recommend contacting someone in the local universities chemistry department. Tell them you are making liquid nitrogen ice, which is easier to explain then 'cryosearing a hamburger patty'. It is, generally, not heavily regulated, and with a little luck, I'm sure you can find some.