• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soy Sauce, pH, and other questions

Anonymous Modernist 2696

I'm having some issues making soy sauce spheres and I think I know why. But Im not 100% sure so I thought I'd ask the experts. The spheres simply dissolve when they enter the bath. I believe it's an pH issue. From what I can find, Soy Sauce is extremely acidic.

On to my questions...

Just how acidic is soy sauce?

How can I tell what the pH of a given food is?

Do those electronic pH testers (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-PH600AQ-Tester-Calibration/dp/B005H78ZI0 ) work worth a crap?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Although I don't know the pH of soy sauce off the top of my head, I have a pH tester and can check the pH of it, if you would like? The best way to tell is by using a pH tester. pH testers usually require calibration liquids to ensure that the meter is giving an accurate reading; some come with the calibration fluid, some don't.

Welcome to the forums!