• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Beef Brisket (6•88)

Anonymous Modernist 1774

Hello,

I was wondering if you could answer a question. In your section on American BBQ in regards to brisket it says to smoke it for 7 hours and then sous vide for 72. I was wondering if it is possible to smoke 3 or 4 briskets and then vacuum seal and freeze 2 of them, remove at a later date and sous vide then. What kind of negative impact would that have on the meat. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have tried the brisket recipe a few times now. But, I want to reverse the order of things. I have the dry rubbed brisket in my sous vide supreme at 140f and then I am going to smoke it (as best one can on a gas grill) rather than smoke first.

Thoughts, comments or recommendations? Taking it out and hitting the grill/smoker on Monday for Memorial Day guests. Thanks...

I have tried the brisket recipe a few times now. But, I want to reverse the order of things. I have the dry rubbed brisket in my sous vide supreme at 140f and then I am going to smoke it (as best one can on a gas grill) rather than smoke first. Thoughts, comments or recommendations? Taking it out and hitting the grill/smoker on Monday for Memorial Day guests. Thanks...

Ok. Made Kansas city sauce per instructions. After 20min, sauce reduced to 350g not 250g. Going to smoke for a few hours tomorrow and mop with sauce to keep moist. Any last comments?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a vac master chamber sealer. How do you pull a hot piece of meat off the smoker and use a chamber sealer to prepare the meat for sous vide if it is that hot? I don't see any steps in the book that call for cooling the meat before sealing it. The last time I put something that hot and moist into the sealer it boiled and vapor filled the chamber.

• 3 months later...