• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

160F versus 149F for 7 hours

Anonymous Modernist 5766

I wondered whether the lab can provide some information on the effects of smoking ribs at a higher temperature than recommended in the book. Specifically, I wondered what the effects are of smoking at 160F versus the recommended 149F. I am considering purchasing a Traeger smoker (I do not want to have to tend the fire of a Karubecueevery 30 minutes) but learned that the minimum operating temperature is 160F (with a variance up to 20F) .

• 4 weeks later...

Whatever temperature you're smoking at combined with the environment's humidity will determine how cooked your meat is. So if you go higher in temperature, your meat might not be as juicy. But it can still be delicious with a good quality cut of meat and a well-practiced process. You can always try using a shorter length of time if you are using a higher temperature.

You might look into getting the Bradley smoker though.

• 3 months later...

Get a Bradley Smoker with a PID controller (Auber instruments sells a dual probe PID that works well, which you can also use to control a water bath for sous vide cooking. fresh meals magic also sells a PID with a focus on sous vide and can also sell you a type of immersion heater relatively cheaply for sous vide) will let you set temps precisely. You can even cold smoke cheese and other foods this way. The smoke generator is seperate from the heating element, so you can turn the element off and still have smoke. Its pretty simple to set up cold smoking if you want to.