• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Addelice Sous Vide immersion circulator

Actually I'm using this immersion circulator for my sous vide cooking, and i'm happy with it. For my opinion it is quiet, holds the temperature exactly (i didn't check with high end gear, but with a simple oven thermometer) and it's pretty small. An external thermometer probe is not possible. After turning it on you can set the desired temperature and a timer that starts counting down after the temperature is reached or you can let it count from zero to 99 hours i guess. So it's quite simple but easy to use (not suitable for complicated HACCP though).

I'm using the Addelice Swid with a 2/3 GN container most of the time, but a 1/1 GN container is easily heated as well (both of them were insulated with bubble wrap and i use a lid to prevent evaporating.

The cage around the heating element keeps the sous vide bags away, but makes cleaning and drying a little more difficult.

According to their homepage a 110V version is under construction, but not yet available.

I hope this will help you with your decision.

Greetings from germany,

Sheldon

I am using the swid for now 6 months and I am totally satisfied about it. Very simple to use and to clean (I don't share Sheldon opinion about that last point). IMO the heater element of the swid is easier to clean compared to my former Julabo heating coil.

The swids heats fast but is limited to a 20-30 liters capacity.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been using the Swid for nearly 2 years and it never disapointed. it's quite reliable, silent, the most silent of all of the equipement I've tested, it's quite cheap and the size id ideal. I've written an article about it on my blog:

http://www.fiftyfourdegrees.com/lang/en-us/archives/756

Have a read.

Nicolas

• 4 years later...

I don't think you can heat anything up to 2400 watts. Water, in particular, can only heat to 100 degrees centigrade or 212 degrees Fahrenheit at the sea level (sans pressure cooker).  

• Like 1

In the USA and Canada, no home appliance can draw more than roughly 1800 Watts since domestic, 120 Volt circuit breakers are only rated for 20 Amps.  In Europe, where the wall voltage is 230V nominal and the circuit breaker is rated for 10 Amps, you can then draw 2300 Watts.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2016 at 8:52 PM, KennethT said:

In the USA and Canada, no home appliance can draw more than roughly 1800 Watts since domestic, 120 Volt circuit breakers are only rated for 20 Amps.  In Europe, where the wall voltage is 230V nominal and the circuit breaker is rated for 10 Amps, you can then draw 2300 Watts.

Yup. The only common exception is the few appliances that require a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Like bigger air conditioners and espresso machines. You can recognize these things by the air conditioner plug that won't fit in a standard outlet. These appliances are allowed draw 2200 watts, maybe up to 2400. 

I've never seen this on a circulator. Not that much point. There'd be an advantage if you're starting with cold water and are racing to get it to temperature, or if you're heating a huge volume of water in an uninsulated container. But there's almost never a reason to do either of these things. 800-1200 watts is really plenty.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly