• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best price on the Polyscience Sous Vide Professional?

Cheviot

I'm planning on purchasing a Sous Vide Professional in the next month. Before Christmas Williams-Sonoma had a great sale price, around $600, but now everyone seems to be charging the same as Polyscience does on their site, $800. Has anyone found a better current price out there?

I did a good deal of research but haven't found a better price than $800.

I feel fortunate that on Christmas Eve, while I was browsing through Williams-Sonoma, I learned that they had a promotion going with $10 of store credit for every $50 you spend. That was all the coaxing I needed to buy the Sous Vide Professional that day, effectively saving me $160.

-- Robert

Oddly enough, quite a few of these have been showing up on ebay. However they're all listed as new, out of box, with no accessories (manual, cookbook, carry case). It seems odd as there must have been a dozen in the last few months just like this. Perhaps they've been used in demonstrations? To me the pricing just isn't good enough to justify buying in this situation.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can, join the professional chef program at Williams Sonoma, you will get 20% off on most products. My polyscience circulator came in at $650 with a 22 qt stainless stock pot and a 25.88 liter cambro included. On a side not they offer an ary chamber vac set up for about the same price. The chamber vac works well. The vac is regulated by time not pressure but you can hit the stop button once you see the pressure you want on the gauge which will seal the bag and release the vacuum. The chamber is large enough for all home jobs and a smaller professional application.

Unfortunatly I don't qualify for the professional chef program. Like many others I've resorted to eBay. Hopefully it will be here this week.

I still have to wonder though, from where are all the new-no box Sous Vide Pros coming….

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I just picked up a refurbished Polyscience SV Professional Chef series on eBay for $500 without box, manual, case, or warranty. It appears to have been sold directly by Polyscience (or someone who works for them, as the eBay account was tied to a Polyscience email address). It hasn't showed up yet, but it seems like a great deal. I also picked up a Cambro polycarbonate bin and lid from a web store for $35 shipped. Polyscience and its affiliates sell this bin for $60, and hawk custom lids for $40. $100 for a plastic bin? Please. Shop elsewhere and cut your own lid to save money. Or cut up a cheap cooler, as CJM suggests. That reminds me, in my basement I have several Styrofoam coolers from ordering meat online, and I bet they'd work as excellent insulated containers for extended cooking times, and their soft material would be easy to cut into custom lids.