• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Melon Caviar (6•291)

Anonymous Modernist 4342

Today I tried my first recipe out of MC. I did the melon caviar and topped it on a crispy prosciutto round. I sourced the alginate and calcium chloride from willpowder. Overall the melon caviar was pretty time consuming but yielded a great looking product. Unfortunately the caviar was way over powdered by the prosciutto (my fault), and the caviar didn't have much flavor itself. However, I don't think the melon I was using was too great to begin with, so shame on me for using bad product. Overall the dish ended up looking a lot better than it tasted.

For the round I just cut out my shapes using a ring mold, put them on a baking sheet lined with a slip mat, and baked them in my convection oven at 200F for about an hour. (I don't have a dehydrator)

5e90eee629d911e19896123138142014_7.jpg