• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monitoring Internal Temperature When Cooking Sous Vide

• 4 weeks later...

I'd stay away from that. Plastics used for food prep have different quality standards than those used for construction. It's very possible for chemicals to leech out of that tape that would not be present in the food grade version of that tape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Luke,

I have a very cheap corded probe thermometer purchased from Target for $10 or $15. It beeps when temperature reaches the set point. The display also shows min/max temps, Fahrenheit or Celcius.The probe is 1/8" dia, with a nice sharp point. Cord is silicone, crimped into the stainless probe, the joint hasn't leaked yet.

Temperature readings are very repeatable, however the calibration is uniformly off by 2.5 degrees (F) - If the display says 140, the actual temperature is 137-138.

If you get one of these, checking and compensating for the error is a must!

FWIW, the manufacturer's point of reference is conventional ovens and dial thermometers which are both an order of magnitude less accurate than that. So I'm fairly sure they consider their product well adjusted.

Ted