• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation in Toronto

Anonymous Modernist 310

We're looking for any kind of memorable meal. The price or the type of meal is not really a factor. Usually we plan our trips around restaurant reservations but in this case we're travaelling to a city where we don't already have restaurants planned.

The Black Hoof was already on our list of place to maybe go and Arcadia look interesting. We don't find Acadian restaurant that often!!!

Thanks

Louis-Frederic

• 10 months later...

I like a place called 5 Doors on Younge Street. Not exactly what you would call Modernist Cuisine but the owner is a chef and he started a butcher shop called Son of a Butcher in the same area.

But the best dish is grilled octopus.

Mike Macdonald Calgary

I was working on another post in this Form when I thought of Charlie's Burgers.

When they hold an event you get an email with some info and you have to commit right away as they fill up real quick. In 2010, it was ranked by Food and Wine Magazine as one of the top three "word of mouth" supper clubs.

Each dinner event is hosted by a different high-profile chef and is held in a different location, with the location being secret until the last minute. I am not too big on the cloak and dagger stuff.

I heard they have expanded beyond Toronto to offer events in London and Paris now but not sure.

I am on their email list not sure how I got on it and have not had an email for a while hope they are still running great idea.

Mike Macdonald Calgary

• 10 years later...

You have to check out Rasa in Toronto! It's like my go-to spot for tapas.

Seriously, their food is good, and it's got a mix of indulgence and freshness.

For dinner or lunch, you've got to try their Chopped Salad.

It's got these crispy Harissa chickpeas, some sumac, and a smidge of jalapeño feta. I absolutely love meat but I'm cool with this dish.

And if you swing by for brunch, get ready for a total treat with their Oatmeal Waffle.

It's topped with rhubarb compote and granola, a pretty unique flavour.

Oh, and do yourself a favour and order a side of their Schmaltz potatoes.

https://www.rasabar.ca/dinein